Dr. Shawn Joseph is the newly-hired Director of Metro Nashville Public Schools. He is an experienced educator who has fought for excellence and equity for every student he has served over a 20-year career.
That career has seen him serve as a teacher, principal, district administrator, deputy superintendent and superintendent. Most recently, he worked for students in Prince George’s County Public Schools in Maryland as the head of teaching and learning. Prior to that, he was the superintendent of the Seaford County District in Seaford, Delaware.
Dr. Joseph’s work has garnered national recognition, and his expertise has been sought by other districts during transitional periods. He has won numerous awards for his work and service, including:
- Ambassador Andrew Young Certificate of Distinguished Services (2016)
- American Educational Research Association’s Outstanding Dissertation Award (2010)
- Middle Level Principal of the Year, Maryland Association of Secondary School Principals (2009)
He is also a published author and researcher, with articles in top, peer-reviewed journals of education on topics like strategic planning and principal development. In 2012, Dr. Joseph published the book The Principal’s Guide to the First 100 Days of the School Year: Creating Instructional Momentum.
Dr. Joseph considers himself a lifelong learner and holds three degrees from Lincoln University, Johns Hopkins University and The George Washington University. He and his wife, Ocheze Joseph, who is also a public school educator, have two school-aged children.
Dr. Joseph’s Career Snapshot
English Teacher, Reading Specialist and Team Leader – Roberto Clemente Middle School Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville MD
Assistant Principal – Redland Middle School Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD
Principal – Roberto Clemente Middle SchoolMontgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD
Director of School PerformanceMontgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD
Superintendent of SchoolsSeaford School District, Seaford, DE
Deputy Superintendent of Teaching and LearningPrince George’s County Public Schools, Upper Marlboro, MD
- Bachelor’s in English Education Lincoln University, Lincoln, PA
- Master’s of Education in Reading Education The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Doctorate on Education in Administration and Policy StudiesThe George Washington University, Washington, DC